Areas of scientific work
DEPARTMENT OF FEED TECHNOLOGY AND ANIMAL FEEDING
The staff of the department develops questions of directed cultivation and stimulation of feeding functions in young farm animals and poultry, improvement of animal feeding technology. The staff of the department continues the research of professor Provotorov G.V. on the issues of normalized animal feeding, ways of forage preparation for feeding and balancing of diets for different types of feeding, increase of the feed conversion level in animals of different kinds in the conditions of industrial and farming production technologies of livestock products.
The teachers of the department are also involved in projects on obtaining organic poultry products, improving the technology of keeping and feeding pigs and the production of high-quality dairy raw materials and its processing.
A scientific and practical laboratory of “feed quality” was created at the department. On its base is fulfilled evaluation and preparation for the implementation of innovative feed technology and feed analysis, comparative evaluation of the composition and quality of ingredients and fillers used in the production of protein-mineral vitamin supplements (PMVS) and premixes manufactured by various manufacturers, as well as advisory assistance to livestock farmers in the organization of a balanced animal feeding. The laboratory allows to involve students in scientific work and to carry out preparation of bachelor’s, master’s and postgraduate works.
Priority areas of research
The main directions of the scientific work of department are: testing of new feeds and feed additives in the diets of different species of animals, improving their productivity, improving the resistance and reproductive capacity of pigs, reducing the cost of production, determining the level of genetic burden in populations of farm birds, development of methods for determining gender of farm birds, optimization of dairy raw materials use and improvement of feed conversion.
Topics of state registration:
№ 0117U004088 Improvement of existing and development of new technical and technological solutions for industrial technologies of pork production and development on their basis of volume-planning solutions for modern pig-breeding enterprises.
№ 0117U004086 Improving techniques for hybridization of domestic and musk ducks and development of methods for determining sex of ducklings.
Scientific achievements of the department
Defended 5 candidate theses.
Received 2 patents for utility model.
Participation in 15 international conferences (Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Uzbekistan)
DEPARTMENT “TECHNOLOGIES OF PRODUCTION AND PROCESSING OF ANIMAL PRODUCTS AND CINOLOGY”
Scientific activity of the department of technology of production and processing of animal products and cinology is carried out according to three approved topics of research
“Improvement of dairy and mixed breed cattle in open populations using modern methods of animal genotype assessment and the system of selection information collection.”
Scientific adviser – Ladyka Volodymyr Ivanovych (fulfilment dates 01/01/2016 – 12/31/2021, state registration number 0116U005386).
“Improvement of selection and technological programs for breeding farm animals in conditions of intensive production”.
Scientific adviser – Prykhodjko Mykola Fedorovych. (fulfilment dates 01.09.2018-1.06.2022, state registration number 0118U006179).
“Improvement of preparation technology for official use and evaluation of pedigree and working qualities of dogs of different breeds”.
Scientific adviser – Bula Ljudmyla Valerjanivna (fulfilment dates 03.2018-06.2023, state registration number 0119U101601).
The department has a scientific school in the direction of “Development and implementation of selection programs in the process of improving dairy breeds of cattle”
Head of the scientific school – Ladyka Volodymyr Ivanovych; doctor of agricultural sciences, professor, academician of NAAS of Ukraine.
Scientific research is aimed at the elimination and improvement of competitive domestic breeds of cattle. Under its leadership was developed a methodology for assessing the type of brown cattle body structure, included in the list of features of selection of cap-casein fractions of milk protein, worked out the concept of improving brown cattle in the region on the principles of population openness with the involvement of the best North American and Western European gene pool.
V.I. Ladyka is one of the authors of Sumy intra-breed type of Ukrainian black and brown dairy breed and brown dairy breed of cattle. He is a co-author of SSTU ISO 8607 “Artificial insemination of farm animals. Cryopreserved semen of bull-sires. Method of determining the number of aerobic microorganisms”, which was enforced by the order of the State Consumer Standard of Ukraine (2008).
He was awarded with the order “For Merits” of ІІІ grade (Decree of the President of Ukraine №. 619/2009 from August 18, 2009), the certificate of Education and Science Administration of Sumy Regional State Administration (2009), the Labor decoration “Honor Mark” (Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine, 2008), thanks of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine (2005, 2008), honorable distinction of the Head of Sumy Regional State Administration (2004).
Currently he is the rector of Sumy National Agrarian University, a member of the specialized scientific council for the protection of candidate and doctoral dissertations of the Institute of breeding and genetics of NAAS of Ukraine; member of the agrarian education section, science, informatization and advisory section of the Scientific and Technical Council of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy; expert – advisor on breeding and keeping farm animals and animal husbandry management; member of the Council of the North-eastern scientific center of NAS and MES of Ukraine; a member of the scientific and technical council of the head department of agro-industrial development; member of the Board of the head department of agro-industrial development of Sumy Regional State Administration.
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
The department performs research works within the theme: “Adaptation of innovative technology of pre-incubation processing of eggs with the use of protective biocomposite coatings to agricultural poultry of different species” (state registration number 0117U004090).
The research of department includes theoretical substantiation and development of innovative technology of pre-incubation processing of farm poultry eggs with the usage of artificial nano-composite protective coatings “artificial cuticle“ “ARTICLE“ created by biomimetic principle for increasing the hatchability of eggs and safety of young birds.
In the direction of scientific researches of the department, 5 theses were prepared and defended – 1 doctoral and 4 candidate. Currently three postgraduate students are studying in postgraduate course.
During the existence of the department more than 800 scientific works were published on the materials of research works including 12 instructions and methodical recommendations, 6 monographs, 3 textbooks, 2 dictionaries, and 9 patents were obtained.
Technology “Artificial Cuticle” “ARTICLE” developed at SNAU by a group of prof. O.G. Bordunova aims to solve the following problems in the modern egg incubation of agricultural birds:
1) providing strong protection to incubation eggs of farm birds in relation to pathogenic micro-flora of the environment the danger of which is increasing steadily negatively correlating with the performance of productivity;
2) necessity to completely displace from the technology of agricultural poultry egg incubation: a) highly efficient, inexpensive but extremely toxic formaldehyde; and b) quaternary ammonium compounds, which, first, cause an increase in the resistance of pathogenic micro-flora and, secondly, contaminate incubation wastes with toxic and persistent to chemical breakage remains, which prevents shell waste processing without prior labor consuming cleaning;
3) the urgent need to develop technologies for protection of incubation poultry eggs on the basis of so-called “green” biomimetic techniques, which allow with the use of natural or synthetic compounds to create artificial structures that are as similar to natural ones as possible. Synthetic compounds in environmentally friendly “green” technologies can participate as constituent ingredients only if they are completely and in a short time subjected to destruction with the formation of safe products (typical examples of such processes are active oxidation processes, hydrolytic reactions, photo- catalytic processes involving peroxide compounds and nanoparticles).
Main technical and economic indicators:
The technology “Artificial cuticle” can be used for pre-hatching processing of farm poultry eggs in hatcheries, in poultry enterprises of different ownership.
The technology “Artificial cuticle” can be used for processing food eggs to improve the quality of eggs and extend their shelf life.
Incubation wastes (eggshells) can be used in the processing industry.
DEPARTMENT OF BREEDING AND SELECTION OF ANIMALS AND AQUATIC BIORESOURCES
The research works of the department are carried out within the theme: “Improvement of dairy and dairy-beef cattle breeds by milk productivity and exterior type under usage of modern methods of animal genotype assessment” (state registration number 0117U004089).
The department research includes the development and use of a comprehensive approach to determine the features of animal exterior formation in relation to the direction of productivity, age, heredity, relative development of features with determination of population-genetic parameters within intra-breed types, genealogical formations and bull-sires of Ukrainian dairy breeds.
In the direction of scientific researches of the department 5 theses were prepared and defended – 1 doctoral and 4 candidate. One graduate student is currently enrolled in postgraduate studies.
During the existence of the department more than 300 of scientific works were published on the materials of research works, including 12 brochures, instructions and methodical recommendations, 2 monographs, and 1 patent was obtained.
– development of a system for selection pedigree and organizational measures aimed at consolidation of the livestock in the desired type, through an in-depth retrospective analysis of selection information of withdrawn and available number of livestock in pedigree herd and livestock breeding;
– estimation of genealogical formations of the herd with development of rational perspective linear structure with selection of high-value, by indicators of milk productivity and exterior type, bull-sires, which is guaranteed to ensure the progress of the farm and the breed by the leading economically useful traits;
– professional evaluation of cows by exterior type using modern linear classification techniques with the aim to determine the development level of exterior sexes that characterize the body and udder of cows, and identify deficiencies that adversely affect the productivity of animals, their reproductive capacity and create problems of their keeping and automatic milking;
– development of selection measures aimed at the implementation of planned tasks concerning improvement of quantitative and qualitative indicators of the herd, which are based on the theoretical basis of reproduction, selection and parameters of the desired type, which is guaranteed to ensure the competitiveness of the farm;
– implementation of the automated system of conducting selection and pedigree registering “PLEMOFIS” and genetic evaluation of animals with the provision of applied computer programs at the level of world standards, which will allow to control the movement of livestock number, growth and development of young animals, processes of reproduction, feeding and veterinary support;
– development of a system of intensive growing of repair heifers, which will provide animals at the age of 16-18 months the desired standard of live weight at the level of 400-420 kg, with live weight of firstborn cows at 25-27 months of age 530-540 kg and productivity 7- 10 thousand kg of milk per lactation;
– development of a promising selection program for the creation of a highly productive herd for breeding dairy cattle and scientific support for the program implementation process, including training of specialists, providing consultations, fixing bull-sires and other scientific-methodological and practical assistance.
Main technical and economic indicators:
– implementation of the proposed measures will allow to be oriented in a number of zoo-technical, selection, technological and organizational-economic issues, the application of which ensures efficient breeding of livestock and profitable production,
– the development will allow to constantly keep under control the selection, economic and production situation of the herd, to have at hand a number of scientifically-based recommendations on breeding, selection, technology of production and feeding of animals.
Recommended for development of:
farms with different ownership forms for breeding cattle of existing and created Ukrainian dairy and dairy-beef breeds of Sumy region and Ukraine